Location: Rickit Street, Taupo, Waikato, New Zealand
Surnames/tags: Cemeteries New_Zealand
Taupo Public Cemetery
Situated in the town centre near the Waikato River on Rickit Street. The Early Settlers Cemetery is on Lower Spa Road.
In 1911, the Old Military and Early Settlers Cemetery was zoned as a plantation site. Today it provides a ‘green space’ serving the immediate neighbourhood, the main shopping precinct. The Early Settlers Graves and Riverbank Block was originally surveyed in 1883 and is now part of the much larger Taupo Cemetery, parts of which are in current use.
The heritage team of WSP Opus, contracted by the Taupo District Council, carried out an extensive photographic and non-invasive survey of both cemeteries, recording inscriptions on all headstones where possible. This was supported by research into the historical background associated with early settlers to the region. A number of notable graves were located and included Surgeon Walker (New Zealand Cross), A.G. Morgan (M.B.E.) and Catherine Armstrong (QSO). (See https://www.wsp-opus.co.nz/projects/taupo-cemetery/)
- Find-a-Grave This has 106 records.
- BillionGraves This has 1752 records.
- Taupo District Council Cemetery Database search
- Surgeon Walker (New Zealand Cross)
- A.G. Morgan (M.B.E.)
- Catherine Armstrong (QSO)
- Norman Gallichan (Cricketer) see Wikipedia
- Fred Ladd (aviator) See Wikipedia
- Pat Ryan (rugby player) See Wikipedia
- Rona Stevenson (MBE) (politician) See Wikipedia
New Zealand Cemeteries Team
This page is maintained by the New Zealand Cemeteries Team, who are part of the Global Cemeteries Project (and the Oceania Cemeteries Team). The aim is is to document the final resting place of those buried in New Zealand, to ensure that each cemetery has its own free-space page, which is linked to the category structure for Global Cemeteries, and that those buried in them are also gathered in the correct category.
- Currently there are 1 profiles listed on Wikitree for this cemetery, which is well short of the number of interments. Findagrave has 106 entries, and Billion Graves has 1752. Irwin-2099 17:21, 15 February 2019 (UTC)
The overall progress of this endeavour will be found on the NZ Cemeteries Team Progress page.