Note:  Death date changed June 25, 2015 from "certain, 1378-01-05" to "before, 1381-02-09". Text has death as "d. 05 Jan 1382 Cork, Ireland" (couldn't tell source). Jan. 1382 and Feb 1381 are not incompatible, if both were originally 1381/1382. However, sources for any/all would be nice.
Philippa of Clarence, 5th Countess of Ulster
Philippa of Clarence was the only child of Lionel of Antwerp and Elizabeth de Burgh  She married Edmund Mortimer, 3rd Earl of March (1352-81).
After her mother died, Philippa became Countess of Ulster in her own right. She is also the person who the House of York based its claim to the throne, in addition to primogeniture.
In fact, the crown should have passed to Lionel's heirs after the failure of the Black Prince’s line ... but it didn't. So it ended being an issue during the Wars of the Roses.
- Philippa, 5th Countess of Ulster suo jure.
- b. 16 Aug 1355 Eltham Palace, Kent.
- d. 05 Jan 1382 Cork, Ireland
- bur. Wigmore, Herefordshire.
- p. Lionel of Antwerp, 1st Duke of Clarence and Elizabeth de Burgh, 4th Countess of Ulster (d.1363).
- m. Edmund Mortimer, 3rd Earl of March abt 1368 Reading Abbey
- TAG 275 Vol. 69 No. 3 July 1994
- Magna Carta Ancestry 2011 2nd ed. Vol. III p. 193-194
Gedcoms in Changes.
Philippa was born in 1355. Philippa Plantagenet ... She passed away in 1378.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Philippa's mitochondrial DNA have taken an mtDNA test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Theresa Bashford, Tim Perry, Lindsay Coleman, Kimberly Luckett, and Barty Bailey. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On July 3, 2014 at 19:50GMT Darrell Parker wrote:
Philippa is 19 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 23 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 34 degrees from Gene Kelly, 23 degrees from Bram Stoker and 18 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.