Philippa of Clarence, 5th Countess of Ulster (16 Aug 1355 – 5 Jan 1382)
Philippa of Clarence (1355-81) was the only child of Lionel of Antwerp and Elizabeth de Burgh (d.1363) She married Edmund Mortimer, 3rd Earl of March (1352-81).
After her mother died, Philippa became Countess of Ulster in her own right. She is also the person who the House of York based its claim to the throne, in addition to primogeniture.
In fact, the crown should have passed to Lionel's heirs after the failure of the Black Prince’s line ... but it didn't. So it ended being an issue during the Wars of the Roses.
- Philippa of Clarence was the Countess of Ulster suo jure.
- b. Eltham Palace, Kent.
- m. Edmund Mortimer, 3rd Earl of March abt 1368 Reading Abbey,
- d. most likely of fever in Cork, Ireland
- Burial: Wigmore, Herefordshire.
- After death: rights passed to son, Roger Mortimer, 4th Earl of March. 
- sole heiress of the Anglo-Irish Earl of Ulster and maternal descendant of Henry III (1207-72).
- Weir, Alison (1998). "A Race of Magnates." Lancaster and York: The wars of the roses. London: Pimlico. Ebook. ISBN: 9781446449172
- FISCUS Family Tree.ged, Lea and Randol and Ely and Si.ged, Hooker Family Tree.ged, FISCUS Family Tree.ged, Steele Family Tree.ged, MINIX_2011-10-08_01.ged, Steele Family Tree.ged, FAMILY 6162011.GED, master 11_12.ged, Grant R. Phillips, Jr..ged, Bwiki.ged, Acrossthepond.ged, heinakuu2011-6.ged .
- heiress presumptive to first cousin Richard II; would be displaced in succession by children of the king.
- Lionel was 2nd surviving son of Edward III and Philippa of Hainault.
- ↑ When Richard resigned crown with no issue on 29 Sep 1399, the rightful heir was Edmund Mortimer, 5th Earl of March, whose father Roger died the previous year. The throne was usurped by Richard and Philippa's first cousin, Henry Bolingbroke, which later precipitated the Wars of the Roses. As a result of her seniority in the line of succession to the throne of the Kingdom of England and her marriage into the powerful Mortimer family, her descendants eventually succeeded to the throne as the House of York under Edward IV.
Page edited according to Jan 2014 Style Standards. Gedcoms in Changes.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Register as a guest to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Philippa's mitochondrial DNA have taken an mtDNA test.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Lindsay Coleman, Theresa Bashford, and Tim Perry. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post comments. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On July 3, 2014 at 19:50GMT Darrell Parker wrote: