It is very important — and often very difficult! — to follow the naming conventions and structures that have been established by the WikiTree community. The hierarchy is constantly growing and being improved-upon. If a category structure does not currently exist in WikiTree, or you think there need to be modifications to an existing category structure, then the structure must be documented, collaborated on and approved by the community.
In an effort to offer better transparency into the Categorization Project's current working items, we are now using a public Trello board for tracking purposes. This Trello board is open to public viewing so that any user can quickly identify the process stages and work in process items. See below for how to read and interpret the Categorization Trello board.
Note: Once a category structure or topic has been introduced through this process, no changes should be made to these categories without collaboration with the Categorization Project Leaders until the proposal has been approved and implemented.
- Items put forward for consideration and discussion. These items are normally submitted through formal procedures (see Step 1: Draft the Proposal) submitted to the Categorization Project or the new category request form, but in some cases may be initiated via questions and discussions in G2G, as a part of new or revised Project goals/needs, or as presented by WikiTree Leadership.
- Items currently under discussion in the Categorization Project (see Step 2: Categorization Review). Often, the discussion is as simple as checking to see if something similar has already been created and can be mirrored. In other cases, as with global topics that can span multiple regional categories and category streams, thorough review will be requested by all affiliated or affected projects to verify any potential conflicts, concerns or possible needs for exclusions.
- Items that have passed through Categorization Review and have moved to G2G (see Step 3: Formal G2G Proposal). During the G2G Review process, all community members are invited to discuss the proposal. Any modifications and/or additions to the draft proposal will be documented (if applicable or as needed).
- Items that have passed through G2G Review and have moved to formal approval stages (see Step 4: G2G Last Call). During the G2G Last Call process, all community members are invited to discuss and vote on the formal proposal. Any minor modifications and/or additions to the draft proposal will be documented (if applicable or as needed).
Policy / Usage Documentation
- Items that have been approved in G2G. At this stage, the Categorization Project Leaders will ensure that relevant Help, Project and/or Guidance pages have been documented. Once documented, an announcement is made in G2G introducing the finalized policy / usage documentation (see Step 5: G2G Structure Announcement).