Project: Photo of the Week
Welcome to the Family History Photo of the Week project, a way to highlight some of the interesting photos that get uploaded to WikiTree.
Every Monday we announce a new photo theme. To participate, you can "nominate" a photo you feel fits the week's theme by sharing it in the G2G forum.
Also every Monday, nominated photos from the previous week that meet the criteria will be collected into a gallery that will be shared in G2G as well as in our Facebook page and groups for you to vote on your favorites.
Nomination and voting periods run from Monday to Saturday. Winners will be announced the Monday following their theme's voting period.
Anyone can participate in the Family History Photo of the Week Project by nominating new photos each week, voting for your favorites, and by sharing on social media.
- If you'd like to join, respond to this G2G post and we'll get you going!
- Add the photo_of_the_week tag to your G2G feed to see nominated photos, get updates on new themes and when it's time to vote!
You can nominate your own uploaded photos or you can browse through recently uploaded photos and nominate ones you like.
To nominate a photo go to the photo's details page on WikiTree. (If it hasn't been uploaded to WikiTree yet, click the image upload link from the profile of a person who's in it.) On the right side of the photo details page you will see a little button that says "Share on G2G."
This button will only appear on public photos, i.e. photos you don't need to be on the Trusted List to view. If there's a red lock icon in the upper-right corner of the photo page, you won't see the sharing button.
Here's an example of a photo details page with the button (look in the right column): http://www.wikitree.com/photo/jpg/1863_Sylvester_Bartlett_d_6-14-1863_at_Port_Hudson_LA_ae
Here's a G2G post made with it: http://www.wikitree.com/g2g/173689/shared-photo-sylvester-bartlett-about-1862-civil-war-uniform
It's OK to nominate photos if you're not sure whether or not they should be in the final set of nominees. The Project Leader will check photos to be sure they meet qualifications.
Be sure to include something in your post about why you feel the photo fits that week's theme.
There are two ways to vote for the photo of the week.
Vote via Facebook.
As mentioned above, each Monday we'll share that week's gallery of nominees on our Facebook page and groups.
You can vote there by "liking" or "sharing" your favorite photos.
Vote via G2G.
Each Monday, there will be a G2G post that is a "gallery" of the nominees for that week. There you can easily vote for the nominated photos from the last week by giving each one you like an up-vote.
You're encouraged to vote for more than one photo, and vote by more than one method. There is nothing wrong with voting on Facebook and in G2G.
Anyone can vote. You don't need to be an official Voting Member. However, most photos don't ordinarily get much attention or votes outside their families. Voting Members are important because they regularly consider and vote on the nominees.
Here are the current and upcoming themes:
- July 9 - Sports
- July 16 - Family Reunion
- July 23- Oldest photo
- July 30 - Pet
Final selection of the winner
The winner is generally the nominated photo with the most votes.
If the winner with the most votes is disqualified the one with the second-most votes is the winner.
If there is a tie, there will be an extended period to gather more votes for the photos in question to try to determine the winner.
The winning photo and person who uploaded the photo both get the "Photo of the Week" badge.
See our archive gallery of past winners.
Criteria for selection and disqualification
Selection criteria is subjective. There are only a few guidelines and rules:
- The photo needs to have been uploaded to WikiTree and have a privacy setting of Public or Open.
- It should be a single, non-cropped photograph.
- It should be an original family photograph. It should not be scanned from a printed source or copied from another website.
- The quality of the image is important. Many photos are wonderful but they weren't scanned at a high-enough resolution. The photo should be at least 400 pixels wide and 500 pixels high. More is better.
- There cannot be copyright disputes. This does not mean that the photo is in the public domain. Copyright holders don't give up ownership when they upload images to WikiTree, as they are required to do on many other websites and most wikis. Uploaders give WikiTree a "license" to use the image. If there's a reasonable question about whether the uploader had the right to give this license the photo will be disqualified.
- The same photo can't win more than once. A single member can win for different photos but they will never have more than one Photo of the Week badge.
- Being a Voting Member doesn't disqualify you from having a winning image.
- There must be a comment on the image page indicating where the photo came from (i.e. family collection).
13 in 13
If you share 13 photos in 13 weeks, you can get a cool badge!
To earn this badge, share 1 photo each week for 13 weeks in a row. At the end of 13 weeks, send a list of the 13 G2G posts of your photo shares to Eowyn and she'll award you the badge.
Here is the archive of winners.
This page was last modified 13:49, 29 June 2018. This page has been accessed 43,186 times.