Profile last modified 6 May 2020
| Created 15 May 2014
This page has been accessed 8,320 times.
I currently live in Singapore although have lived around the world at some point in my life. I was born in Scotland to Scottish ancestors and have a keen interest in genealogy and history in general. I study family history from the perspective of the stories; the reasons why people took the decisions they did and undertook the journeys they made. I also look to find those that time has forgotten; those men and women that lived their lives, loved and laughed, just as we do today but are now lost.
My focus is on the families of Straitons, and its many variants, originating in Scotland under King David I in the early 12th Century. The history of many of the main line family was published under the guise of "Stratons of Lauriston" but I have explored many of the offshoots and over time will publish them here.
I have a keen history bent and search for gaps and holes. I head up the Scots in Foreign Service Project which is looking to fill gaps in our understanding of those Scots that fought abroad until about 1700 and also the Scots Abroad Project that is looking to find the migration patterns of our Scottish ancestors before the American, and later, migrations.
- First-hand information. This information is provided by me.
- I use a variety of sources but my first step is always to seek those sources that are free. It is a major peeve that information that should be readily and freely available to all has been commoditised and now requires payment, often extravagant. Where I have it and it can be distributed I will make it available to other researchers.
I keep a link to a couple of pages I use: Photos; Sources; and Ragman Rolls
To do page: Doug's List
I am a member of the Canadian Loyalists Project
More Genealogy Tools
Only the Trusted List can access the following:
- Doug's formal name
- full middle name (S.)
- e-mail address
- exact birthdate
- birth location
For access to Doug Straiton's full information you must be on Doug's Trusted List. Please login.
See the Contact section of the Tree & Tools
Doug is a Wiki Genealogy Volunteer
following these tags:
- Looking at British, particularly Scots, that entered Indentured contracts for labour in the colonies
- Co-lead the British Isles Politicians Project.
- Focus on all UK categories, including past, Armed forces including HEICS, associated armies (such as Indian), past nation and medieval armies, Mil & War for European and ANZAC, Peerages of British Isles incluing past
- Co-lead the project, focus is on early years history
- Co-lead on the project. I specifically look after UK and Vikings incl all UK Peerages through history; early British, and prior, nobility
- History of India, predominantly during the British occupation; HEICS and British units
- I have an interest in the period from c. early years (wikitree start) to the end of the middle ages; predominatly British Isles History.
- Project Lead, interest in ancient history, particularly Viking era
- The projects I manage include Euroaristo and its subs, United Kingdom and its subs, Scottish Clans, India, Norway, Scots Abroad, Scots in Foreign Service along with a number of interest groups such as Vikings
- Co-lead the project.
- Lead and look at Scottish links
- Lead this project. Focus is on Scots that migrated abroad but are not covered in the US and Australia/NZ migration projects.
- Lead this project which looks at Scots that fought in the various armies in Europe during the period of Scotland's independance.
- Co-lead. Main interest is in early Clan history. Can provide help and guidance on many of the modern clans
- My family name. I mentor the Clan page
- Co-lead the project. My focus is generally on early years and historical work.