Margaret (Fryer) Gardner

Margaret (Fryer) Gardner (abt. 1598)

Privacy Level: Open (White)
Margaret Gardner formerly Fryer aka Friar, Frier
Born about in Sherborne, Dorset, Englandmap
Ancestors ancestors
[sibling(s) unknown]
Wife of — married in Sherborne, Dorset, Englandmap
Descendants descendants
Died [date unknown] in Salem, Essex, Massachusetts Baymap
Profile last modified | Created 29 Jul 2014 | Last significant change: 17 Oct 2018
09:44: Anne B edited the Death Date and Status Indicators for Margaret (Fryer) Gardner. (We have no clue. 1674 was husband death and she died long be4 that) [Thank Anne for this | 1 thank-you received]
This page has been accessed 277 times.

Categories: Puritan Great Migration.

The Puritan Great Migration.
Margaret (Fryer) Gardner migrated to New England during the Puritan Great Migration (1620-1640).
Join: Puritan Great Migration Project
Discuss: pgm

Contents

Biography

Margaret Frier was baptised 25 June 1598 in Sherborne, Dorset. No parents name given.[1]

A Walter Friar and Grace Mullins married in Sherborne in the right time frame to be her parents. (See image from Dorset record office)
There is no evidence to suggest she was daughter of Margaret Merritt.

She married Thomas Gardiner there in 1617.[2]

She probably died shortly after the 1636 birth of her last child.

Disputed Origins

From The American Genealogist, volume 30 (1953), p 156:

"The surname Friar appears to have been first stated in print by the Rev. Joseph B. Felt, well over a century ago. Neither Dr. Gardner nor Mr. Moriarty was ever successful in finding Mr. Felt's evidence; but it would be well not to reject the possibility that Friar (or a variant) is right until we can either prove that the true name was something else or explain how the error arose."

And even if her maiden name was Friar (of whatever spelling variant), there is no documentation of her parents. Possibilities that need confirmation through solid documentation include:

Also:

"B. Margaret Friar: This is the name many times stated to have been that of that earlier wife of Thomas(1) Gardner whose existence is demonstrable from the allusion in his will, dated 7 Dec. 1668, probated 29 March 1675 [Essex Wills, file 301:62: Probate Records, 2:423], to his then wife Damaris, "mother-in-law" of the sons. Damaris was the Widdow Shattock who joined First Church, Salem, 2 July 1641. When the earlier wife died and the second marriage took place are unknown, but Damaris died on 28 Nov 1674, a month before Thomas(1) Gardner died in 29 Dec 1675. Thomas(1) Gardner's name appears fifteenth on the covenant of First Church, signed 6 of 6th month 1629, and a woman named Margaret Gardener is the next member of the family to join on "1639-24-1" [24 Mar 1639/40?]. On "15-10" in the same year, in any case later than the date of Margaret's admission, the name of Tho. Gardener Junyr appears. Though he was by this year certainly old enough to be married, and it is possible that Margaret was his wife, the baptisms of his children do not start until 28 Jan. 1643/4, so I am inclined to agree with Dr. Gardner and Mr. Moriarty that Margaret was actually the name of the earlier wife of Thomas(1) Gardner."

Sources

  1. Dorset History Centre; Dorchester, England; Dorset Parish Registers. 1598 June 25 Margaret Friar bapts (Ancestry has her indexed for some reason as Margaret Lalane)
  2. Dorset History Centre; Dorchester, England; Dorset Parish Registers; Sherborne combined register, Reference: PE/SH:RE1/1: 1617: 28 Thomas Gardiner et Margarete Frier nuptia

Acknowledgements

  • Helen Ford
  • John M. Switlik


More Genealogy Tools



Sponsored by MyHeritage




Search
Searching for someone else?
First: Last:



DNA
No known carriers of Margaret's mitochondrial DNA have taken an mtDNA test.

Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Ancestry DNA.



Images: 5
Walter Friar - Grace Mullins marriage record - Jan 1591
Walter Friar - Grace Mullins marriage record - Jan 1591

Margaret Friar, baptism
Margaret Friar, baptism

Walter Friar will (10 Nov 1610)
Walter Friar will (10 Nov 1610)

Thomas Gardner & Margaret Friar marriage record
Thomas Gardner & Margaret Friar marriage record

Margaret Friar - Research Notes
Margaret Friar - Research Notes

Collaboration

On 7 Aug 2018 at 15:57 GMT Darlene (Athey) Athey-Hill wrote:

Fryer-892 and Unknown-197698 appear to represent the same person because: same person; please merge.

On 1 Aug 2018 at 16:37 GMT Helen (Coleman) Ford wrote:

1617

28 Thomas Gardiner et Margarete Frier nuptia Dorset History Centre; Dorchester, England; Dorset Parish Registers; Sherborne combined register, Reference: PE/SH:RE1/1

There are Friers, in the town prior to this but didn't spot a Margaret

found. 1598 June 25 Margaret Friar bapts (Ancestry has her indexed for some reason as Margaret Lalane) same ref as above.

She is unlikely to have a mother born in Sussex

On 1 Aug 2018 at 12:52 GMT Jillaine Smith wrote:

Her LNAB is not in accordance with wikitree policies. We need a single spelling, not two.

Also, what is the "LRD" notation in her name?

And... can we find better sources? (There seem to be several on the profile of her husband.)

Thanks!

On 24 Apr 2017 at 15:17 GMT L Sauls wrote:

Data note: USA too early in death place.

On 30 Apr 2016 at 13:04 GMT Sandy Culver wrote:

Fryer-639 and Unknown-197698 appear to represent the same person because: data appear to align, Fryer-639 has research and is the LNAB, especially since the surname is uncertain.

On 21 Dec 2015 at 01:44 GMT Marnie Hall wrote:

Frier-155 and Unknown-197698 appear to represent the same person because: I created this, but then saw you say surname is unproven.

On 3 Jul 2014 at 14:49 GMT Chris (Carpenter) Wolfe wrote:

It is unclear if Thomas Friar is indeed the father since there is no solid documentation. Should we remove him?

On 13 Jun 2014 at 00:33 GMT Jeanette (Gartman) Barott wrote:

Friar-19 and Unknown-197698 appear to represent the same person because: Need to be merged to enable merging of matched child.



Margaret is 22 degrees from Anne Buckmaster, 12 degrees from Franklin Roosevelt and 15 degrees from Victoria of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.

F  >  Fryer  |  G  >  Gardner  >  Margaret (Fryer) Gardner