Profile last modified 24 May 2020
| Created 18 Nov 2015 | Last significant change: 2 May 2020
This page has been accessed 9,192 times.
Descendant of PGM migrant George Aldrich & Katherine Seald and many others who are listed below..
Cheryl (Aldrich) Skordahl is participating with Team Massachusetts during the 2019 Connect-a-Thon, and has added 125 profiles.
Daughter, wife, mother, grandmother, sister, aunt, cousin, friend - identity is revealed through my relationships. Relationship with God is above all.
As a child living with her paternal grandparents, Cheryl remembers well mher grandmother's storytelling. She would say, "back in the olden days..." or "down on the town of Popple we..." or more specifically, "you know we're related to the 'Rockafellas...'" or "your great grandma's name was Mary, but they called her Mack. She was a haaarrrd woman, you know." Now, through studying genealogy Cheryl has learned that the "town of Popple" was Popple Township in Minnesota where the grandparents homesteaded; that we are very distantly related to the Rockefeller family; that the great grandmother's maiden name was McCollum so that's why they called her "Mack," and she was a "hard" woman since she was a logger's wife on the islands off the west cost of British Columbia. Oh, and another genealogical learning moment was when the discovery was made, that my 3rd great grandfather Cyrus C. Aldrich was born in New York and died in Southern California!
As a youngster, grandma said I was 3/4 Norwegian and 1/4 German, Scotch, and Irish. Back then she had no access to genealogical books or computer programs, so they guessed German, since the name "Aldrich" sounds German. In truth, no German ancestors have been found, but lots and lots of English, and a few Scots and Irish, and yes, there is also the 3/4 Norwegian.
Cheryl enjoys being an amateur genealogist but genealogy is more than names and dates. It's the ins and outs of my relatives' lives,.. what was their occupation? ...what was their family unit like, how many children, married more than once? ...where did they live, how did they travel, what was happening in the vicinity of their home and also in the world during their lifetime? ...what were their joys and what were their trials? ...what religious affiliation did they have, and were they actively involved?
She loves being a WikiTreer! I enjoy the challenge of learning new skills, conquering the unknown, meeting new friends and communicating/collaborating.
Besides God, husband, family and friends, genealogy and WikiTree; Cheryl loves flower gardening, landscaping, birding, floral design, walking in the woods with my husband and our dog named Reagan. She loves reading the Bible, reading history books, reading historical fiction.
PGM Great Grandparents who migrated between 1620 & 1640
Great Grandparents Who Migrated Between 1640 - 1650
- Samuel Nettleton migrated before 1644 from Warwickshire, England.
- George Slye and Deborah Gardner from Warwickshire, England
Early Family who moved to Long Island
Related Notable People:
- Dwight Lyman Moody Biblical Scholar, Evangelist, Publisher. 7th cousin, 5 times removed.
- Stephen Hopkins American Founding Father, Signer of the United States Declaration of Independence. 3rd cousin, 7 times removed.
- Winston Churchill Prime Minister of the United Kingdom 10 May 1940 - 26 July 1945; 26 Oct 1951 - 5 Apr 1955. 5th cousins, 4 times removed.
- Gregory Peck - film star. 8th cousins once removed.
- Lady Diana Frances Windsor, Princess of Wales10th cousins once removed.
- Joseph Farwell Glidden Inventor of barb wire fencing. 6th cousin 4 times removed.
- Samuel Colt designed and patented the first revolving firearm. 6th cousin 5 times removed.
I am related to the following United States Presidents
- William Howard Taft 27th president; 5th cousin, 4 times removed.
- John Tyler, 10th president. 10th cousin, 3 times removed. connecting grandfather: Sir William Molyneux of Stefton
- Zachary Taylor,12th president. 10th cousin, 4 times removed. connecting grandfather: Sir John Norton of Norton Conyers High Sherriff of Yorkshire.
- Millard Filmore 13th president; 6th cousin, 5 times removed. Connecting grandfather: Stephen Post
- Franklin Pierce 14th president; 9th cousin, 5 times removed. Connecting grandfather: Merrill-117|John Merrill]]
- Hiram Ulysses Simpson Grant 18th president; 7th cousin, 5 times removed. Connecting grandfather: Robert White
- Rutherford B. Hayes 19th president; 5th cousins, five times removed. Connecting grandfather: Thomas Merrick
- James Abram Garfield 20th president; 6th cousin, 4 times removed. Connecting grandfather: James Ludden
- Grover Cleveland 22nd president; fifth cousin, 5 times removed. Connecting grandfather: Samuel Ball
- Theodore Roosevelt 26th president; 12th cousins 2 times removed. Connecting grandfather: William Forbes
- Warren G. Harding 29th president; 7th cousin, 2 times removed. Connecting grandfather: Arthur Bevins
- Calvin Coolidge 30th president; 8th cousin, 2 times removed. Connecting grandfather: John Baker
- Herbert Hoover 31st president;7th cousins, 3 times removed. Connecting grandfather: Christopher Smith
- Franklin Delano Roosevelt 32nd president;7th cousin, 4 times removed. Connecting grandfather: Henry Woodward
- Harry S. Truman 34th president;10th cousins, 1 time removed Connecting grandfather: Matthew Mitchell
- Lyndon Baines Johnson 36th president;12th cousin, 2 times removed. Connecting grandfather: John Elliot
- Richard Nixon 37th president;10th cousin, once removed. Connecting grandfather: Matthew Mitchell
- Gerald Ford 38th president;9th cousin, 2 times removed. Connecting grandfather: George Hull
- George Herbert Walker Bush 41st president;9th cousins, twice removed. Connecting grandfather: Nathaniel Foote
Direct Ancestors who fought in the Revolutionary War
The 5 star profiles I manage:
WikiTree Work Information
PGM Browse Matches and Pending Merges:
PGM Beyond New England Information Page
PGM Beyond Bulletin Board (for Team communicating/collaborating)
PGM Beyond Team Members:
Template: PGM Beyond - Sticker:
Hyperlink of profiles using PGM Beyond Sticker
PGM Beyond Maintenance category:
PGM Beyond link to sticker creation - Ellen's comments:
- PGM Member Activity Review spreadsheet:
- Badge List: (You can get there by clicking on your own or someone else's pgm badge.) or here: https://www.wikitree.com/index.php?title=Special:Badges&b=pgm
- PGM Welcome Wagon Contacted - Free Space (a list of those I've contacted): https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Space:PGM_Welcome_Wagon_contacts
Sub-Project: Puritan Great Migration Beyond New England: (my junk page)
Long Island Info & sources: (my junk page) https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Space:Cheryl_Skordahl_To-Do_List
Free Space Page for updating biographies
https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Space:Biography_for_William_Allen_Sr_%28Allen-2742 bio William Allen-2742
Leaders I am responsible to:
- Ellen Smith: https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Smith-62120
- Anne B: https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/B-404
- Jillaine Smith: https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Smith-32867
Links to projects I am involved with:
- PGM Editing Guidance:
- New York unsourced: http://www.softdata.si/wt/Unsourced_20190901/NY/1_1500-1699_0.htm
- Genealogically Defined link: https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Space:Genealogically_Defined
- Quaker Project Category Help: https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Space:Quaker_Project_Category_Help
- PGM Reliable Sources:
- Anne B's source page: https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Space:GSBS
- Early Long Island Sources: (some good, some not so much, but helpful.) See Additional sources on Cheryl's free space page here: https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Space:Cheryl_Skordahl_To-Do_List
- Peter Ross. "A History of Long Island, New York From Its Earliest Settlement to the Present Time." The Lewis Publishing Company, New York and Chicago. (1902) Vol. 1. see at archive.org
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Record. New York, NY: New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 1870-. (Online database: AmericanAncestors.org, New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2011.)"The Founders of Southold, Long Island" Epher Whitaker. Vol. 26, (1895) pp 85 - 89.subscribers$
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Record. New York, NY: New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 1870-. (Online database: AmericanAncestors.org, New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2011.) Rufus King. "Early Settlers of Southold, Suffolk County, Long Island" Vol. 30, p. 120 - 122.subscription site$
- Mather, Frederic Gregory. "The Refugees of 1776 from Long Island to Connecticut." J. B. Lyon Company, Printers. Albany, N. Y. (1913) 
- William Salmon. "The Salmon Records, A Private Register of Marriages and Deaths of the Residents of the Town of Southold, Suffolk County, N. Y. 1696 - 1811." Edited by William A. Robbins. New York Genealogical and Biographical Society (1918)see at hathitrust
- Craven, Charles E. "A History of Mattituck, Long Island, N. Y." published for the author. (1906)see at google books
- Frost, Josephine C. New York: Long Island Cemetery Inscriptions, 1652-1910. Original Typescript: Josephine C. Frost, 1912-1914. Long Island, N.Y. Cemetery Inscriptions. Mss 299. R. Stanton Avery Special Collections, New England Historic Genealogical Society, Boston, MA. (Online database. AmericanAncestors.org. New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2012.) Vol. 7, pp 1 - 91.subscription site$
- Netherlands Genealogy Resources:
- Quaker Resources:
More Genealogy Tools
Only the Trusted List can access the following:
- Cheryl's formal name
- e-mail address
- images (2)
- spouse's name and marriage information
For access to Cheryl Skordahl's full information you must be on Cheryl's Trusted List. Please login.
See the Contact section of the Tree & Tools