Categories: Pearson-3638 | Avalon, California | Ham Radio Operators | Mayflower Descendants On WikiTree | Mayflower Project | Nantucket Founders and Descendants | Descendants of Tristram Coffin-221 | Global Cemeteries Project | United States Cemeteries Project | Categorization Project | Irish Roots Project | Scottish Clans Project | Magna Carta Project | Profile Improvement Project | Puritan Great Migration Project | 1776 Project | US Presidents Project | Global Family Reunion Project | Black Sheep | Activists and Reformers | WikiTree Arborists | Notables | United Kingdom Project | California Research Assistance, Lassen County | MtDNA Haplogroup H1a | MtDNA Haplogroup H1a3c | MatchBot MPs | Chocolate Needed | En.
GENEALOGY: The systematic and highly obsessive practice of collecting DEAD RELATIVES. - Unattributed quote.
My journey to discover my ancestors began when I was 17 years old. As the years went by, I dabbled at it occasionally, with lots of stops along the way as I was busy with raising a family. My efforts were renewed when my paternal 2nd cousin Sarah Z. discovered that two of our 10th great-grandfathers, Richard Warren and Francis Cooke, and his 13 year old son John Cooke, were Pilgrim Separatists and passengers on the Mayflower in 1620. Sarah shared everything and I, like her, joined The Mayflower Society. I wanted to share all of these wonderful ancestors with my family. I am thankful for the generosity of others who shared their information with me, and I like to pay it forward and share with others.
We found many more ancestors who were early settlers in America, and were part of the Great Migration. They settled mainly on Nantucket Island, Cape Cod and Rhode Island. Some of their descendants went west until they reached Montana, Oregon and California.
My mother's ancestors appear to be primarily from Scotland, and have been the most elusive. They seem to have settled mainly in North Carolina, Tennessee and Alabama, moving on to Oklahoma, Oregon and California. One 3rd great-grandfather is rumored to have been a Choctaw Chief!
One grandmother's parents came from Belgium and Prince Edward Island and met in South Dakota.
I am working on writing a Family History book for my family. In my spare time I read, mainly historical fiction, mysteries, general fiction and non-fiction; I spend time with my family; camping, gardening, and I am the Secretary/CFO of a small, local non-profit. I am an avid book collector of all kinds, including genealogy books.
I gave birth to 3, but 8 call me Mom (one is now in heaven). I have 13 grandchildren (one is in heaven) and my genealogy research is devoted to them, with love.
“Unexpected intrusions of beauty. This is what life is.” ― Saul Bellow, Herzog
"Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away." James 4:14 KJV
Notable people have a page on Wikipedia.
- Andrew Warde - My 11th great-grandfather
- Mayflower Pilgrim Francis Cooke - My 10th great-grandfather
- Mayflower Pilgrim Richard Warren - My 10th great-grandfather
- Tristram Coffin Sr., patriarch of Nantucket Island - My 9th great-grandfather
- Lawrence & Cassandra (Burnell) Southwick, Quakers persecuted for their beliefs - My 9th great-grandparents
- Mayflower Pilgrim John Cooke - My 9th great-grandfather
- Mayflower Pilgrim John Howland - My 9th great-granduncle
- Frances (Ma-Con-A-Quah) (Young Bear) Slocum, kidnapped by Indians as a child - My 1st cousin 11x removed and My 3rd cousin 7x removed
- James Warren, President of the Mass. Provincial Congress - My 3rd cousin 8x removed
- Lt. Col. Aaron Burr Jr., U.S. Vice President - My 3rd cousin 9x removed
- Ezra Cornell, Co-founder of Cornell University - My 4th cousin 5x removed
- Lucretia (Coffin) Mott, abolitionist, women's rights activist – My 4th cousin 6x removed
- Isaac Coffin 1st Bt., Royal Navy Officer – My 4th cousin 6x removed
- Levi Coffin, abolitionist – My 4th cousin 6x removed
- John Greenleaf Whittier, abolitionist, Fireside poet - My 5th cousin 5x removed
- Herman Melville, writer – My 6th cousin 4x removed
- e.e. cummings, writer, poet, painter - My 6th cousin 4x removed
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Fireside poet - My 6th cousin 5x removed
- Henry David Thoreau, writer, philosopher - My 6th cousin 5x removed
- Laura Ingalls Wilder, writer - My 6th cousin 5x removed
- Henry Ward Beecher, abolitionist - My 6th cousin 5x removed
- Johnny Appleseed - My 6th cousin 6x removed
- General William Tecumseh Sherman - My 6th cousin 7x removed
- George Orson Welles, actor, director, writer, producer - My 7th cousin 2x removed
- Erle Stanley Gardner, lawyer, writer - My 7th cousin 3x removed
- Ralph Waldo Emerson, writer and philosopher - My 7th cousin 4x removed
- Anna Mary Robertson (Grandma Moses), artist - My 7th cousin 4x removed
- Joseph Smith, Jr., founder of Mormonism - My 7th cousin 4x removed
- Sir Winston Churchill, Prime Minister of England - My 8th cousin 1x removed
- Tennessee Williams, American playwright, author - My 8th cousin 2x removed
- Thornton Wilder, writer, three time Pulitzer Prize winner - My 8th cousin 2x removed
- T.S. Eliot, essayist, publisher, poet - My 8th cousin 2x removed
- Bing Crosby, actor - My 9th cousin 2x removed
- Samuel Clemens "Mark Twain", writer - My 8th cousin 4x removed
- John Steinbeck, writer - My 9th cousin 1x removed
- Kevin Bacon, actor - My 9th cousin 1x removed
- Edna St. Vincent Millay, Pulitzer poet - My 9th cousin 1x removed
- Amelia Earhart, aviator - My 9th cousin 2x removed
- Humphrey Bogart, actor - My 9th cousin 2x removed
- Henry Jaynes Fonda, actor - My 9th cousin 4x removed
- Clint Eastwood, actor - My 10th cousin
- Janis Joplin, singer - My 10th cousin 1x removed
- Marilyn Monroe, actress - My 10th cousin 1x removed
- James Spader, actor - My 10th cousin 1x removed
- Brooke Shields, actress - My 10th cousin 1x removed
- Louisa May Alcott, writer - My 10th cousin 4x removed
- Dr. Benjamin Spock, writer - My 11th cousin
- Sarah Palin, politician, commentator, & author - My 11th cousin 1x removed
- Bill Gates - My 12th cousin
- Warren Buffett, Business magnate, investor & philanthropist - My 12th cousin 2x removed
- H.R.H. Meghan M. (Markle) Windsor, "The Duchess of Sussex" , - My 13th cousin 1x removed
- Lucille Ball, actress - My 14th cousin 1x removed
- Hillary Rodham Clinton - My 20th cousin 2x removed
- Edmund Sherman - Arrival 1635 - My 12th great-grandfather
- John Bouton - Arrival 1635 - My 11th great-grandfather
- Thomas Carter - Arrival 1635 - My 11th great-grandfather
- Sargeant Francis Nichols - Arrival by 1639 - My 11th great-grandfather
- Andrew Warde - My 11th great-grandfather
- Samuel Wilbore - Arrival 1630 - My 11th great-grandfather
- George Allen – Arrival 1635 - My 10th great-grandfather
- Alling Ball - Arrival ? - My 10th great-grandfather
- John Brinsmead - Arrival 1636 - My 10th great-grandfather
- Mayflower Pilgrim Francis Cooke - Arrival 1620 - My 10th great-grandfather
- Robert Day - Arrival 1635 - My 10th great-grandfather
- Jasper Gunn - Arrival 1635 - My 10th great-grandfather
- Robert Hawkins - Arrival 1635 - My 10th great-grandfather
- Richard Holbrook - Arrival before 1648 - My 10th great-grandfather
- Daniel Kellogg - Arrival 1651 - My 10th great-grandfather
- Anthony Paine - My 10th great-grandfather
- Nathaniel Potter, Sr. - My 10th great-grandfather
- Anthony Thompson, Sr. - Arrival 1637 - My 10th great-grandfather
- Mayflower Pilgrim Richard Warren - Arrival 1620 - My 10th great-grandfather
- Moses Wheeler - Arrival 1638 - My 10th great-grandfather
- John Audley/Odlin - Arrival 1634 - My 9th great-grandfather
- Thomas Blalock - Arrival 1622 - My 9th great-grandfather
- Joseph and Eleanor (Plover) Boyce - Arrival bef. 1640 - My 9th great-grandparents
- Thomas Brownell & Ann Bourne- Arrival 1638 - My 9th great-grandparents
- Robert Carr - Arrival 1635 - My 9th great-grandfather
- Tristram Coffin Sr. - Arrival 1642 - My 9th great-grandfather
- Mayflower Pilgrim John Cooke - Arrival 1620 - My 9th great-grandfather
- William Deuell/Davol - Arrival before 1640 - My 9th great-grandfather
- Thomas Fish - Arrival 1643 - My 9th great-grandfather
- William Gifford - Arrival ? - My 9th great-grandfather
- Henry Glover - Arrival Bef 1640 - My 9th great-grandfather
- Arthur Hathaway - Arrival 1638 - My 9th great-grandfather
- Joseph Holloway - Arrival 1635 - My 9th great-grandfather
- Reverend Obadiah Holmes - Arrival 1638 - My 9th great-grandfather
- Arthur Howland - Arrival 1633 - My 9th great-grandfather
- Richard Kirby – Arrival 1635 - My 9th great-grandfather
- Nicholas Mosher - Arrival before 1633 - My 9th great-grandfather
- Adam Mott – Arrival 1635 - My 9th great-grandfather
- Giles Slocum - Arrival 1638 - My 9th great-grandfather
- John Smith - Arrival 1633 - My 9th great-grandfather
- Lawrence & Cassandra (Burnell) Southwick - Arrival 1637-1639 - My 9th great-grandparents
- Edward Starbuck Jr. – Arrival 1635 - My 9th great grandfather
- Philip Tabor – Arrival 1633 - My 9th great grandfather
- Henry Tomlinson - Arrival Bef. 1644 - My 9th great-grandfather
- John Tripp Jr. & Mary Paine - Arrival 1635 - My 9th great-grandparents
- Edward Wilcox - Arrival 1634 - My 9th great-grandfather
- Mayflower Pilgrim John Howland - Arrival 1620 - My 9th great-granduncle
- Stephen Pierson - Arrival 1654 - My 8th great-grandfather
- Edward Wooster - Arrival Bef. 1651 - My 8th great-grandfather
- Richard Scott - Arrival Bef. 1634 - My 8th cousin 10x removed
- Archibald Sloan I - Arrival Abt. 1718 - My 7th great-grandfather
My most heartfelt thanks to all of those who have shared their family records, especially these wonderful genealogists;
Where I have added "possibly," it looks doubtful to me but requires more research.
My Connections to the US Presidents
- 1 George Washington are not related, yet
- 2 John Adams are not related, yet
- 3 Thomas Jefferson are not related, yet
- 4 James Madison are not related, yet
- 5 James Monroe are are not related, yet
- 6 John Quincy Adams are not related, yet
- 7 Andrew Jackson are not related, yet
- 8 Martin Van Buren are not related, yet
- 9 William Henry Harrison are not related, yet
- 10 John Tyler are not related, yet
- 11 James Polk are not related, yet
- 12 Zachary Taylor are not related, yet
- 13 Millard Fillmore are not related, yet
- 14 Franklin Pierce are not related, yet
- 15 James Buchanan are are not related, yet
- 16 Abraham Lincoln are 6th cousins 4 times removed & 6th cousins 5x removed
- 17 Andrew Johnson are are not related, yet
- 18 Ulysess S. Grant are 6th cousins 5 times removed
- 19 Rutherford B. Hayes are not related, yet
- 20 James Garfield are 7th cousins 4 times removed
- 21 Chester Arthur are 7th cousins 5 times removed
- 22 Grover Cleveland are not related, yet
- 23 Benjamin Harrison are not related, yet
- 24 Grover Cleveland are are not related, yet
- 25 William McKinley are not related, yet
- 26 Theodore Roosevelt are not related, yet
- 27 William H. Taft 9th cousins 4 times removed
- 28 Woodrow Wilson are not related, yet
- 29 Warren G. Harding are 8th cousins 2 times removed
- 30 Calvin Coolidge are 9th cousins 1 times removed
- 31 Herbert Hoover are 11th cousins 1 times removed
- 32 Franklin Roosevelt are 7th cousins 2x removed, 8th cousins 2x removed &, 9th cousins 2x removed
- 33 Harry Truman are are not related, yet
- 34 Dwight Eisenhower are not related, yet
- 35 John F. Kennedy are not related, yet
- 36 Lyndon B. Johnson are not related, yet
- 37 Richard Nixon are 9th cousins 1 time removed & 9th cousins 2x removed
- 38 Gerald Ford are 8th cousins 2 times removed
- 39 Jimmy Carter are not related, yet
- 40 Ronald Reagan are not related, yet
- 41 George H. Bush are 10th cousins
- 42 Bill Clinton are not related, yet
- 43 George W. Bush are 10th cousins
- 44 Barack Obama are 6th cousins 2 time removed & 10th cousins 1x removed.
- 45 Donald J. Trump Sr. are are not related, yet
Many of my ancestors of the period were Quakers, and remained neutral during the war.
I like islands and used to live on an island between 1967-1984. During the course of my genealogy research, I was surprised to find how many ancestors were born, or lived, on islands. The list so far includes;
|Generation Number||Direct Relation to J. (Pearson) Salsbery||Total # of Possible Ancestors||Total # of Identified Ancestors||Total % of Identified Ancestors|
|4||2nd Great Grandparent||16||16||100.00%|
|5||3rd Great Grandparent||32||23||71.88%|
|6||4th Great Grandparent||64||29||45.31%|
|7||5th Great Grandparent||128||34||27%|
|8||6th Great Grandparent||256||51||20%|
|9||7th Great Grandparent||512||50||10%|
|10||8th Great Grandparent||1024||49||5%|
Many thanks to Campbell Braddock for creating the code and gifting this neat chart to me! Last updated August 20, 2017.
What a great idea this is! I saw it on another Wiki Profile and copied it.
To aid WikiTree in the administration of my account should I be incapacitated, or in the event of my death, I hereby give permission for all private profiles I'm managing to be transferred to the following WikiTreers, whether or not they are currently on the Trusted Lists:
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Ancestry DNA.
On 1 May 2018 at 14:03 GMT Mindy Silva wrote:
On 18 Apr 2018 at 00:42 GMT Wendy (Ling) Sullivan wrote:
Good luck with the publication, it is a lot of work!!
When you have time do drop into the project and see what's going on now, we are making a lot of changes moving forward :)
The door is never closed and we will be happy to see you when you have time :)
On 17 Apr 2018 at 23:34 GMT Wendy (Ling) Sullivan wrote:
This is Wendy, England Project coordinator for Integration.
I am just checking in with you to see how things are going.
I haven't seen you around the project recently, which may be for a number of reasons, but I wanted to check that everything is ok.
Are you happy with what you are doing in the project, is there something I can help you with to make you more comfortable, or have you changed your mind about being involved?
Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you integrate into the project.
My apologies if we just missed each other.
On 5 Feb 2018 at 21:06 GMT Sara Mosher wrote:
On 23 Jan 2018 at 07:28 GMT Liz (Noland) Shifflett wrote:
On 23 Jan 2018 at 07:26 GMT Liz (Noland) Shifflett wrote:
On 2 Jan 2018 at 18:14 GMT Guy Constantineau wrote:
Wish you a Happy New Year. May 2018 bring you all you need to be happy.
Congratulation for adding your contributions in December. Whatever the quantity of your contributions, they all count. As I always say "Quality is better than quantity" to make a great family tree.
Thank you for being a Wikitreer,
Guy Constantineau - Wikitree leader
On 31 Dec 2017 at 16:50 GMT Jessica (Cleveland) Hoffman wrote:
I have a small concern or worry about the information added to Hugh Isbister's page because I have never had any papers or anything indicating that his mother's name was Janet or that he ever lived in Richmond county. I cannot view the citation you have used because it links to Ancestry, which asks me to log in with a paid account and I do not have one. I would love to double-check and make sure we are referring to the same Hugh.
On 29 Dec 2017 at 16:18 GMT M Cole wrote:
I've reset the Heins-Mosher mergers to unmerged matches, and will start with the oldest generation first, and will re-propose after that merge goes through. But I just want to be sure that you don't dismiss just because the LNAB are so different. Somehow the lines in a tree got crossed, and the Heins name was overwritten over Mosher. The Heins name came from a German immigrant family, unrelated. If you compare the several generations, Nicholas, Joseph and Barnabas - the dates wives and locations are all the same. Changing the LNAB first only adds an additional merge (which we try to avoid). Thanks!
On 29 Nov 2017 at 06:07 GMT Gillian Thomas wrote:
I’m the new Project Coordinator for the England Project. I am contacting you, as there have been some recent changes to the project which we are keen to bring to your attention. Please look at the England Project page for more information on the changes and the ways members are able to actively contribute moving forward. Once you have considered how you would like to participate, please contact either myself or Susie to let us know. We can then list your involvement, help you join the Google group forum for England, and give you any other help you may need to get going. If we don’t hear back from you we’ll assume you do not wish to be a part of the England Project for the time being. We really hope you will join the team! Gillian